If you are still looking for an easy dessert for entertaining, that is good enough to be a centrepiece here is an idea for you. I made this for my work Christmas lunch today. I couldn’t help but play it up a little with my gingerbread village.
This blog post has to be the quickest one I’ve ever created. I baked last night at 10pm, assembled everything this morning, took a few quick photos and then I was off with it by 11am. It’s 10:30 pm now, and here I am with a blog post. It’s good to be so busy and tired sometimes that you don’t care to write sensible stuff, rather just eager to share what you’ve created with the rest of the world.
Hope you like it and give it a go.
The gingerbread houses were made using Martha Stewarts templates from here. The cake is a spiced carrot pineapple cake with lemon cream cheese frosting topped with sweetened shredded coconut.
It is a beautiful cake, both inside and out!
Spiced Carrot, Pineapple Cake with Lemon Cream cheese Icing
- Flour: 2 cups
- Oil: 1 cup
- Eggs: 4
- Brown Sugar: 1 cup
- White Sugar: 1 cup
- ground ginger powder: 1tsp
- Cinnamon powder: 2 tsp
- Ground Nutmeg: 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda: 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Shredded Carrots: 2 and 1/2 cups
- Crushed Pineapple: 1 cup drained
- Pecans: 1/2 cup
- Sunflower seeds: 1/4 cup
- Shredded Sweetened Coconut: 1 cup
- Cream Cheese: 12 oz
- Butter: 1/2 cup
- Confectioner Sugar: 2 and 1/2 cups
- Lemon Juice: 4 tsp
- vanilla: 2 tsp
- Preheat oven at 315F.
- Grease a 9 inch cake tin. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking soda and spices together and set aside.
- Mix the oil, eggs, brown sugar and white sugar until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until throughly mixed.
- Add shredded carrots, crushed pineapple and nuts and mix well.
- Pour into greased tin and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Cool partially before turning out from cake tin.
- Once cooled cut into half.
To make Icing:
- Beat room temperature butter and cream cheese till soft and smooth.
- Add sugar and whisk until soft and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and lemon juice and beat well to combine.
- Spread approximately half the icing between the cut up cake.
- Spread icing on the sides and top.
- Top with shredded coconut.