This is waiting for you at home – a Paris-Brest filled with coffee cream, drizzled with chocolate and topped with almond coffee praline – all your favourite things! We have been working hard at this all morning, Saira and myself. She piped a little heart (with help) for you as a topper that she wants to eat right now. I’m not sure if I can keep this away from Saira for too long. She can’t wait to blow out the yellow candle she choose for you either. I have heard her practice the birthday song more than a few dozen times already. She can’t wait to sing it to you again.
Happy Birthday To You!
You are the very best one can ever ask for!
We love you,
PS: By the way, do you know that we don’t have a single lighter at home? The little girl won’t be happy if she doesn’t get to blow out your birthday candle!
Paris-Brest with Coffee Cream
Ingredients for Choux Pastry:
- Milk: 1 cup
- Unsalted Butter: 1/2 cup
- Flour: 1 cup
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Eggs: 4 large
- Sugar: 1 tbsp
- Flaked Almonds: 3-4 tbsp
Ingredients for Coffee Cream:
- Whipping cream: 2 cups
- Instant coffee: 2-3 tsp(depending on the strength you prefer)
- Vanille essence: 1 tsp
- Sugar: 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Ingredients for garnish:
- Melted Chocolate: 1/4 cup
- Almond praline: 1/4 cup in big chunks
- Instant Coffee: 1 tsp
- Preheat oven at 450 degrees F.
- Bring milk, butter and salt to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter melts completely add all the flour and stir vigouresly to combine. Cook over very low heat by storing continuously for 2-3 minutes.
- Take off heat and let cool slightly. Transfer to mixer.
- Beat the four eggs. Reserve a tablespoon or two of the beaten egg for wash later.
- Beat the dough on medium speed and add one egg at a time. Beat at high speed till completely mixed and shiny.
- Transfer to a piping bag with a large round tip.
- On a parchment paper draw a 9 inch circle. You can choose to make this smaller or larger. Now trace the round with your choux twice side by side and then once on top.
- Brush pastry with egg and sprinkle almonds.
- Bake for 15 mins on 450 degrees F , then turn down heat to 350 degrees F and continue baking for another 30-40 mins or until the pastry is golden and brown.
- Turn off heat and leave pastry in oven with the door slightly open for 1 hour or till it is completely cool.
- To make filling: mic instant coffee and vanilla in 4 tbsp of hot water and let cool.
- Whip the cold whipping cream with the sugar and the coffee filling till it forms peaks. Transfer to a piping bag with a large star tip.
- Arrange praline on parchment and sprinkle instant coffee. Microwave for 5 -8 secs or just enough for praline to get slightly stickily and catch the coffee.
- When pastry is cool slice it in half. Pipe the coffee filling in circular motion filing the entire ring. Place the upper slice back.
- To decorate: drizzle melted chocolate on top and sprinkle with coffee almond praline.